What is collocation?
In the English language, collocation refers to a natural combination of words that are closely affiliated with each other. Some examples are "pay attention", "fast food", "make an effort", and "powerful engine".
شما میدونین کالوکیشن چیه؟
وقتی دو یا چند کلمه بارها در کنار یکدیگر به کار میرن اونارو کالوکیشن (Collocation) یکدیگر در نظر میگیرن.
این کلمه در فارسی به همایند ترجمه شده که اتفاقاً واژهی گویایی هم هست: «کلمههایی که با هم میآیند»
مثالها زیادن. اما برای کسی که آشنایی چندانی با زبان انگلیسی نداره، ممکنه Heavy rain و Strong rain هر دو درست به نظر برسن.
یا اینکه نتونن به سادگی حدس بزنن که قهوهی سنگین را باید Bitter coffee بگن یا Heavy coffee یا Strong coffee.
شبیه همین مثال رو میتونیم دربارهی Making a mistake و Doing a mistake هم مطرح کنیم.
پیدا کردن مثال کالوکیشن اصلاً دشوار نیست.
صرفاً کافیه کلمهها یا ترکیبهایی رو که بارها پشتهم و در کنار هم دیدین به خاطر بیارین:
find a replacement
homes of the rich
a great length
In other words
advantages of being a…
open an account
Types of collocation
There are several different types of collocation made from combinations of verb, noun, adjective etc. Some of the most common types are:
- adverb + adjective: completely satisfied (NOT downright satisfied)
- adjective + noun: excruciating pain (NOT excruciating joy)
- noun + noun: a surge of anger (NOT a rush of anger)
- noun + verb: lions roar (NOT lions shout)
- verb + noun: commit suicide (NOT undertake suicide)
- verb + expression with preposition: burst into tears (NOT blow up in tears)
- verb + adverb: wave frantically (NOT wave feverishly)
There are several different types of collocation. Collocations can be adjective + adverb, noun + noun, verb + noun and so on. Below you can see seven main types of collocation in sample sentences.
|1. adverb + adjective|
- Invading that country was an utterly stupid thing to do.
- We entered a richly decorated room.
- Are you fully aware of the implications of your action?
|2. adjective + noun|
The doctor ordered him to take regular exercise.
- The Titanic sank on its maiden voyage.
- He was writhing on the ground in excruciating pain.
|3. noun + noun|
- Let's give Mr Jones a round of applause.
- The ceasefire agreement came into effect at 11am.
- I'd like to buy two bars of soap please.
|4. noun + verb|
- The lion started to roar when it heard the dog barking.
- Snow was falling as our plane took off.
- The bomb went off when he started the car engine.
|5. verb + noun|
The prisoner was hanged for committing murder.
- I always try to do my homework in the morning, after making my bed.
- He has been asked to give a presentation about his work.
|6. verb + expression with preposition|
- We had to return home because we had run out of money.
- At first her eyes filled with horror, and then she burst into tears.
- Their behaviour was enough to drive anybody to crime.
|7. verb + adverb|
- She placed her keys gently on the table and sat down.
- Mary whispered softly in John's ear.
- I vaguely remember that it was growing dark when we left.
اگر این مطلب واستون کاربردی بود حتما لینک و واسه دوستاتون هم بفرستین تا با مطالب ما آشنا بشن.